Michael G. Martin
Michael “Mike” Martin, a partner with the firm, is a trial lawyer whose practice is centered on product, construction defect, and general liability litigation, large personal injury losses, wrongful termination employment disputes, sexual harassment claims, employment wage and hour disputes, defense of public entities, and the investigation of fraudulent and suspect claims. He defends public transportation entities, public and private employers, corporations, private individuals and insurance companies.
Mr. Martin has been with Graves & King LLP since 1999. He began his legal training and career in 1992 with insurance defense firms in Pasadena and Long Beach and has been a partner at Graves & King since 2003. Mr. Martin is active in client relations and development and direct management of the firm’s Glendale office.
In addition to his trial work, Mr. Martin has extensive experience with court-ordered and binding arbitration and mediation and is skillful in finding ways to protect his clients’ interests while minimizing their costs. He promotes preempting lawsuits with early and creative negotiations and the use of alternative dispute resolution when advantageous to his clients’ interests to resolve matters before trial.
A member of the State Bar of California since 1992, he is admitted to practice in the United States District Court, Central and Eastern Districts. He is a member of the Association of Southern California Defense Counsel and the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
Mr. Martin is a regularly featured guest speaker for insurance companies, employers and risk managers on various legal topics and issues including updates on construction defects, personal injury, and employment issues. He recently was a featured speaker at the West Coast Casualty Construction Defect seminar on strategic post-trial motions.
Mr. Martin received his J.D. in 1992 from University of La Verne College of Law, where he earned the American Jurisprudence Book Award for excellence in Civil Procedure. After he obtained his B.A. in psychology from San Francisco State University, and prior to matriculating to law school, Mr. Martin worked with a Los Angeles mental healthcare facility and treatment program for abused and severely emotionally injured children and adolescents.
Born in Los Angeles, California, Mr. Martin and his wife, Cristin, are empty nesters who now enjoy splitting their time between the La Crescenta/Glendale area, where they raised their two children, and traveling to spend time with them as young adults. A life long competitive swimmer, he is an active member of the Southern Pacific Masters Swimming Association and continues to swim and fitness train for both open water ocean and USMS/SMPA sanctioned pool events.
- 2003-Present, Partner, Graves & King LLP, with emphasis in construction defect, public entity and transportation defense, wrongful termination defense, harassment and discrimination defense, general liability tort defense
- 1999-2003, Senior Associate, Graves & King LLP
- 1998-1999, Law Office of Michael G. Martin, sole practice specializing in litigation and monitoring of construction litigation for the FDIC, general civil practice including employment tort and FEHA claims
- 1993-1998, Associate Attorney, Ford, Walker, Haggerty & Behar, general liability defense with emphasis on defense of developers in construction defect litigation
- 1993, Associate Attorney, Collins, Collins, Muir and Traver
- State Bar of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- Supreme Court of the State of California
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- Juris Doctor, University of La Verne College of Law 1992
- Juris Prudence Award for Excellence in Civil Procedure
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, California State University, San Francisco 1984
- Active member and competitor in the Pasadena Rosebowl Master
- United States Masters Swimming (Pacific)